HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Table of Contents
Latest topics
Naruto © Masashi Kishimoto

Any creations, posts, ideas, or otherwise content from this website are copyrighted to their owners and creators. No information may not be taken or used without said owners permission, with the exception of situations listed in the terms of service and rules which are subject to change without warning. © All Rights Reserved.

Share | 

Archives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nomi
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Archives   Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Is there any specific reason it's been decided to delete them? Some people still come back here after a while to retrieve certain things, not having saved every piece of work they've put here. If there were space problems with whatever you all are trying to do then fine... but if they were just deleted to look clean or something like that, then that's a big disappointment.

Back to top Go down
Iris
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 pm

I agree and I am equally upset with the decision to completely delete the archives. There were many topics and pieces of writing I had in there, that while it is not the end of the world that they are gone, it is still upsetting that they are.

This all is of course if it was unneeded.

Maruchi, Hikari

[00:20:42] @ Iris : SICK TO MY MOTHER FUCKING TUMMY BITCH MUST THINK IM A MUTHA FUCKING DUMMY BC I DRESS BUMMY BITCH THINK IM BROKE BITCH I ATE ONE ROACH AND I MADE A LOTTA MONEY
[00:20:52] Parasite : .
[00:21:01] @ Blaine : Quite
[00:21:05] * Blaine sips tea

[01:03:43] Iris joined the chat on Sat 6 Jul - 1:03
[01:03:46] @ Blaine : Like gayer than 8 guys fucking 9 guys
[01:03:49] Iris has logged off the chat on Sat 6 Jul - 1:03
Back to top Go down
Elendril
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

i have informed Gen of how to get the Archives back as he has ever-thing he needs to do it, and he does not want to get them back.

[10/10/2013 11:59:46 PM] S (GenShinigami): I return to my statement that NR is not their personal filing cabinet. I am sorry they lost that stuff, but it isn't our responsibility to retrieve it.

Kimura, Hirashi: The Kazekage

Kimura, Kazuhiko: The Pharaoh
Kimura, Natsu: The Prince of Blood
Aburame, Sai: The Lone Bug
Back to top Go down
GenShinigami
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:57 pm

The archives were deleted a while ago by a previous Admin. It wasn't until about two weeks ago it was brought to my attention. It is not very high on the list of my priorities at the moment, and I am sorry if that upsets anyone.

However, despite Elendril's belief that it is a quick and simple fix, it is not. The board is set up to backup once every twenty-four hours, and everything I've looked at so far seems to say that it deletes the previous backup when it does that. Please don't assume I haven't even bothered trying to find a solution. It may not be the most important thing in the world to me, but it is certainly not something I'm ignoring.

As for my reasoning though, I agree it is a shame that we have lost the archives. However, I have two points I've already shared with Elendril that I will now present here too, for public consumption.

1) If they posted the stuff and didn't keep personal copies, then they can only be upset with themselves about it. NR is not their personal file cabinet. We are under no obligation to retrieve their stuff.
2) If I can get the archives back, then great! If not, I am not going to be too worried about it. The site is going to be run differently, in a new manner. The archives being deleted, while unfortunate, is not the end of the site, much less the world.

So as I've said, while it would have been nice that the archives not be deleted, we are not the dumping ground for people's applications, histories, and ideas. Everything you post on this site, we are technically within our rights to delete for any reason. I hope to avoid similar mistakes by ensuring clearer communication, and once more, I apologize for the inconvenience that occurred here. I had items in the archives that were lost, which I hoped to reference myself, but this affects all of us.

Thank you for your time, and for coming forward with this concern. If you have any other questions or concerns, don't be afraid to post them or come directly to me.

Iyasu Nagano
Back to top Go down
Elendril
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Um nothing has really been posted since the backup. As No Rp has taken place in a good while and the only topics that were posted were more or less discussion topics which can always be made again. You loose nothing of any importance in the back up. I mean you would loose like 20 post compared to the thousands you gain from the backup restore

Back to top Go down
Nomi
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:16 pm

No harm done. I saved most of my work, it's just a shame the rest has been removed. It had always been a long-standing rule that archives not be deleted, so the ability to retrieve my old stuff when it became relevant was nice. Now with it all gone though, I guess I can finally cut ties from here. Good luck with your restart.

Back to top Go down
Iris
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 am

I agree with nomi. It was simply the comfort of the archives being there was just something good to have. I have what I needed form there as well, for the most part. Might of lost a few things, but then nostalgia just kicks in. Likewise though, have fun with the restart and I shall continue to pop in and out to see how things are going with the site :D

Maruchi, Hikari

[00:20:42] @ Iris : SICK TO MY MOTHER FUCKING TUMMY BITCH MUST THINK IM A MUTHA FUCKING DUMMY BC I DRESS BUMMY BITCH THINK IM BROKE BITCH I ATE ONE ROACH AND I MADE A LOTTA MONEY
[00:20:52] Parasite : .
[00:21:01] @ Blaine : Quite
[00:21:05] * Blaine sips tea

[01:03:43] Iris joined the chat on Sat 6 Jul - 1:03
[01:03:46] @ Blaine : Like gayer than 8 guys fucking 9 guys
[01:03:49] Iris has logged off the chat on Sat 6 Jul - 1:03
Back to top Go down
Living Saint Bayul
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Whiners and complainers the lot of you. He's saying that it's damn near impossible to retrieve them. Move on. If he could grab them, he would. But he can't. So suck it up buttercup and learn to use notepad or whatever else.
Back to top Go down
Manami

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 pm

For some reason, I disagree. If they think they can spam archives and then not take care of them. They MUST be deleted. If their lazy, than be it. If they take care of em, this should be ok. I'm just saying my opinion. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Smile Smile Cool Cool Laughing Laughing  Zaru! Zaru! Zaru! Kisazaru! santa 

Back to top Go down
Elendril
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Lysander not even close to what he said, he said he can do it but he dosent want to lose the gained post since the delete of them. The funny part is nothing but a discussion post have been made only like 20 post would be lost be eh as he can see the archives is getting the vets to leave as now they have nothing tying them to the site so eh.

Back to top Go down
Corleone
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 am

Gonna miss being able to read all the old fights and threads. I mean did they really have to go just for a site face-lift? I mean deleting old apps and rules is cool, but to trash a few years worth of rping. Its kinda what always lured me back here, read some of the old stuff and get enthused to start again. Cant even how the new peoples how the OGs used to get down since most have either quit or moved on elsewhere. Oh well.  
Back to top Go down
Manami

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 am

As genshinigami said, the site is getting a reboot, so I think this will be a whole different NarutoR than before. So, all of us can start all over again.

Back to top Go down
Living Saint Bayul
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Quote :
However, despite Elendril's belief that it is a quick and simple fix, it is not. The board is set up to backup once every twenty-four hours, and everything I've looked at so far seems to say that it deletes the previous backup when it does that. Please don't assume I haven't even bothered trying to find a solution. It may not be the most important thing in the world to me, but it is certainly not something I'm ignoring.
Man Elendril, the site deleting past saves seems to mean HE CAN'T GET IT BACK. Make sure you read before you bleed, a misread in a topic like the one you just made here could get your char killed.
Back to top Go down
Desert Fox
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Okay. Who the fuck decided it was appropriate to delete anything in the first place? Because quite frankly that was the most silly and inconsiderate decision I've seen in awhile (and I just got done watching a government shutdown). Like did it ever cross your minds that any of that was history? That was soul, the flair of the site. Of course you new comers can remark "Yeah it's all hunky dory if they didn't save it it's their fault" how is it our fault we don't go through the task of saving years of RP's? Some of us spent years here, honing the craft that is roleplaying (and it is a craft) for some inconsiderate fuck to just delete it. And you laugh it off? How would you like it if I took your most prized and worked after achievement, some piece of grand art that you spent years making, broke it but left you with the memories of creating it. The people you met, the work you put in, all of that still in your head, but the masterpiece itself is gone. Now imagine just how empty that makes you feel. You can say "Oh that sucks" but it's not you. People find it easy to say "Oh man sorry that happened" but until they experience it, they don't really know or care about the feeling, because it's not them.

I'm not complaining about you not getting them back (even if I know how and you can't do it through any silly means that you think you're doing. Forumotion is a lot more complex than people give it credit for being) but I am severely disappointed at the fact that you new group of kids who can't even make a thread longer than a page felt the need to erase something as important as NR's past. This isn't some place you just found on the internet. This place grew and evolved, it changed hands, it changed generations of players. And now none of that is chronicled, none if it is stored so you can learn just HOW you got here. And the sad part is. You don't care. That is probably the most fucked up part about this whole thing. You don't care about the history, which directly represents how you care about a lot of things. You don't care about the old guy that flew a plane that dropped some old bomb that blew up some old city in some old country that happened years ago. Because it didn't happen to you. Just like you don't care about some old guy who fought another guy and had it written down and talked about and enjoyed by others to the point it was still discussed even to this day.

Like this shit is fucking unbelievable. This was literally the only place that still contained all of it's history so it could be enjoyed by other newer people. And you fucking kids ruined it. Man I would wish you guys luck, but I already know how it's gonna turn out. Do whatever man I'm done.

-Fox

PM me for questions|Rules|Feedback

March on My Suna Brethren, March on!

Emmanuel\'s
Theme

\"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.\" ~ General Douglas MacArthur

Back to top Go down
kidbushido
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:26 pm

You fuckers deleted the first Naruto app I've ever created. Why?

"I'M NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND!"- Chowder.

[16:12:57] * kidbushido fires a rock from a slingshot at Val
[16:13:22] @ Valkyrie : hey kid we agreed no more slinging rock.....

Mizu: http://www.narutor.org/genin-f77/mizu-burke-ready-for-review-t12115.htm
Roy:
http://www.narutor.org/genin-f77/roy-uma-complete-t13286.htm
Back to top Go down
Éowyn

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:40 pm

... People don't seem to understand what's going on. From what I heard, the deletion of the archives was an accident. I understand that for veterans their hard work has been lost, but there's no need to cuss and act childish about the entire thing. Like I said, from my understanding the archives was deleted by mistake. Calm down.

Roleplay Account
Back to top Go down
Desert Fox
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 pm

. Okay. Whoever told you it was an accident. Is quite frankly. Silly. Unless you deleted the forum itself. There is no possible way in hell that you could have accidentally cleared the entire archives area and not have it be noticed.

PM me for questions|Rules|Feedback

March on My Suna Brethren, March on!

Emmanuel\'s
Theme

\"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.\" ~ General Douglas MacArthur

Back to top Go down
White Fox
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 pm

I was told other wise. I was told they were deleted because the site was going through a revamp and they were "uneeded" and cluttered the site.

I agree with fox on this, Ingoo is roughly five years old, with thousands upon thousands of members and even more topics. This was a home for many people, and even if they dont rp here anymore they did at one point. This is history for lots of people.

And its actually not that incrediably hard to recover them, i was in on a conversation where it was sad that "someone" didnt really care to get them back and wasnt going to go out of their way to get them.

If your going through a revamp and want to do things differently, thats fine, thats wonderful. But dont start erasing hard work that other people poured their time and creativity into. If they were really bothering you that bad, just go get your own adress and make your own site. Dont erase one thats been here for a long time.

Back to top Go down
Elendril
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:01 am

Lysander i know how to get the archives back, i told Gen and he said he knew it to, i have messages of him even stating that. I also have messages of him saying he dosent care about the archives and is not going to get them back for the most part. (Though not his exact words this is what he implied) So no i am not making assumptions Lysander i have already talked to Gen about the archives though he still thinks they do not need them, it already dropped Ingoo's rating on fouromotion without the archives Ingoo dropped on the list to like the 6th site.

And like Soul Said, Gen keeps going on that he wants to build the site up in a new way not keeping the reputation and all the stuff that Todd and everyone else built up. Saying this will be a complete new site. Well if thats the case he can build his own site from the ground up. As no matter what he is not going to get rid of the old Ingoo reputation.

Back to top Go down
Koto
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:19 am

-

Last edited by Pippin Took on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GenShinigami
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 am

I'll address these points as best I can, but allow me to lay one thing down before all else.

I expect people on this board to be respectful.  I don't care if you like someone or something or hate them.  My biggest complaint on this board is the tone which is presented.  People throw profanities and insults all around for no reason, and then act surprised when a topic degrades into no one listening to each other.  This topic is a wonderful example.
This sort of board attracts a very competitive sort of person.  I'm not trying to say not to be who you are, but I will be giving out warnings for inappropriate behaviours.  This goes triple for staff members.  You don't have to like someone, but you have to behave respectfully in public with them, when you're not in-character.  The number one rule on this board will be respect.

Now, to respond to everyone else's concerns.

The archives were deleted by a former Admin on this site.  It had nothing to do with my revamp.  In fact the person in question (Koto) just posted explaining his side.  That being said, Koto, I ask the same of you and please tone it down to a more respectful attitude in public topics.

Lofwyr, I appreciate you defending me and pointing out in my post the main point that was missed by some.  No need to be sassy though.

Elendril, I will restate for everyone's sake, but especially yours since you seem to having the biggest problem with this entire thing.  The board backs up every twenty-four hours.  That is what it is set to automatically do.  All of the literature I can find on the subject says that it overwrites the previous backups.  This seems silly to me, and I will be putting it on a longer timer if possible.  However I am not nearly as familiar with Forumotion as I am with other boards so it is possible that another solution will present itself.  Until then, I'd appreciate if everyone accept that the archives at gone.
I will also reiterate what I said previously regarding people who had things in the archives.
Quote :
1) If they posted the stuff and didn't keep personal copies, then they can only be upset with themselves about it. NR is not their personal file cabinet. We are under no obligation to retrieve their stuff.
2) If I can get the archives back, then great! If not, I am not going to be too worried about it. The site is going to be run differently, in a new manner. The archives being deleted, while unfortunate, is not the end of the site, much less the world.
Again.  This is my stance.  I'm sorry if anyone feels it is harsh.  However this is real life as well, and things happen.  I'm not happy that we lost them, but we have and bellyaching about it won't cause them to magically appear.

Nomi, I'm sorry you're leaving.  If you ever decide to rejoin I'd love to see you.  But if you really are gone, I bid you adieu.  If we retrieve the archives I'll personally PM you about it.

Desert Fox and kidbushido, I appreciate that you've given input but I'd like to ask that you take on a more respectful tone for future input.  I am sorry that the archives were lost but that is no excuse to take it out on anyone given it was entirely by accident.

For everyone else,
I am hoping to have a transparent leadership style.  I grow tired of the power games, the backstabbing, the whispering behind people's backs, the plotting and the cliques.  My goal isn't to get everyone to like me, as that is an impossible goal.  However I do hope to have the majority like me and if nothing else I hope people will respect the effort I am putting forward.  If you are straight forward, honest, respectful and open with me then I promise I will do my best to be the same way for you as a member.  Stephanie was given the site by Todd, and she gave it to me.

The foundation for any leadership position is trust.  I ask that you trust me for the time being, at least until things get moving appropriately.  I strive to listen to all input from members and even if I don't implement it, I promise I considered it.  My goal here is to create an entertaining forum board that anyone can join and feel they have invested their time in well.  I hope you can all help me do that.

Thank you for reading this, if people would like to continue discussion, I will be leaving this topic open.  However consider yourselves all warned to keep civil.  I don't enjoy playing the bad cop but if I have to prove that I am serious then I will.

~GenShinigami
Current Site Owner

Iyasu Nagano
Back to top Go down
Stephanie
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

I've been here longer than every other person in this topic(perhaps not soul?).

Shut the hell up bitches!

Sure you lost some words, so have I. I've lost proof that I've slaughtered Kris 8 times, that I've killed 16 people in graphic ways. Lost my glorious records of raising SA into a goddddddddd. Lost my records of sleeping with Amatsu so I could be the baddest bitch on the block.

THIS IS A REVAMP.

We are losing PAC and changing just about everything we know (except for the plot. cough.)

Get a life, you didn't really lose anything.

This post is incredibly sarcastic. But you get the point...

Work Attire:

Casual Attire:

Back to top Go down
kidbushido
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:41 am

Have fun with this little revamp, deleting apps that some people had for years over your own little selfish aspirations and quarrels.

-kidBushido Out.

"I'M NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND!"- Chowder.

[16:12:57] * kidbushido fires a rock from a slingshot at Val
[16:13:22] @ Valkyrie : hey kid we agreed no more slinging rock.....

Mizu: http://www.narutor.org/genin-f77/mizu-burke-ready-for-review-t12115.htm
Roy:
http://www.narutor.org/genin-f77/roy-uma-complete-t13286.htm
Back to top Go down
Koto
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Archives   Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Kid, you are late to join the bandwagon and appear to have selectively chose what you read in the last few post. - The Archives were not deleted over selfish-quarrels.

Koto Eikoku, Founder of the Hidden Steam
Kotonaru Uchiha of the Sidestep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archives   

Back to top Go down

Archives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1